The Director of Athletics is responsible for all facets of the Lawrence Academy interscholastic sports program. In that position he/she must recognize and implement all policies, regulations, and expectations of Lawrence Academy, the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA), the Tarheel Independent Conference (TIC), the Colonial Carolina Conference (CCC), and the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS).
Student athletes are required to meet academic standards set by Lawrence Academy. Below are the standards that are upheld by Lawrence Academy. Student athletes are also required to meet the requirements set forth by the NCISAA regarding eligibility.
All students wanting to participate in the interscholastic athletics program must:
- Be enrolled in the seventh grade or higher;
- No player shall have reached his/her 19th birthday on or before August 1 of the current school year. (NCISAA Rule and Regulations, Section III, Item E);
- Students may participate in athletics in no more than six consecutive semesters or nine trimesters after enrolling in the 10th grade of any NCISAA member school, no more than four consecutive semesters after enrolling in the 11th grade of any NCISAA member school, and no more than two consecutive semesters after enrolling in the 12th grade at any NCISAA member school, regardless of whether he/she remains continuously enrolled. A student transferring from one NCISAA school to another at mid-year would be considered to have used up one semester of athletic eligibility for that school year; (NCISAA Rule and Regulations, Section III, Item H);
- Have passed a medical physical examination and have the signed form on file with the Director of Athletics stating that the student athlete may participate in the athletics program;
- Meet the eligibility rules of Lawrence Academy, the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA), the Tarheel Independent Conference (TIC) and the Colonial Carolina Conference (CCC);
- Specific to Lawrence Academy, student athletes must maintain a 70 or above average in six (6) of their seven (7) courses in which they are enrolled for every grading period; and,
- Be in good standing in the school’s behavioral expectations.
Students in grade 6 are only eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics if needed to raise team membership to an acceptable level to allow the team to function as an interscholastic team. Please be in mind that Lawrence Academy has used 6th graders to fill teams, but this is done on an as needed basis.
The Director of Athletics receives all in-season student athletes’ grades every six week grading period and every three weeks for student athletes who have a midterm grade of C or below. Student athletes who have a grade of C or below in a course(s) will be warned, but no loss of eligibility will take place at that time. The loss of eligibility will occur at the end of each six week grading period once grades are posted. Lawrence Academy does not provide academic probation; therefore the loss of eligibility will be a six week period or after grading periods.
Student athletes will lose eligibility for the following:
- Receives a grade of D or lower in two or more classes in a six week grading period.
- Receives an Incomplete (I) in two or more classes. “I” grades can be removed upon the completion of the work needed to remove the “I” grade. If the “I” grade is removed with a passing grade, athletic eligibility will be restored on the day that the grade is removed and recorded in the Office of the Head of School.
- Receives a “D” in a course as well as an “I” in another course. If the “I” grade is removed with a passing grade, athletic eligibility will be restored on the day that the grade is removed and recorded in the Office of the Head of School.
Discipline will play an important role in athletic eligibility. Student athletes are role models for younger students in the school community. Student athletes should understand that extracurricular activities, such as the interscholastic sports program, are a privilege and not a right. Therefore, they should conduct themselves in a well-behaved manner.
Suspensions of student athletes will be determined by the Head of School, as are all student suspensions. Student athletes will be suspended from participating in the team’s next scheduled contest for the following reasons:
- Serving an In-School Suspension for any reason;
- Being ejected from an athletic contest for any reason;
- Receiving more than two misconduct reports during the team season; and,
- Failing to comply with team rules. This decision is at the discretion of the head coach with the approval of the Director of Athletics.
Student athletes will be dismissed from a team during a given season for the following reasons:
- Serving an Out-of-School Suspension;
- Serving an In-School Suspension more than twice during a given season
- Being ejected from more than one athletic contest any given season; and,
- Failing to comply with team rules, which is at the discretion of the head coach with the approval of the Director of Athletics.